Sunday, September 13, 2009

“Watch what God does and then do it!”

August 29, 2007

Ephesians 5:1. “Watch what God does and then do it!”

Like a child following around his father, almost irritatingly, especially so when he copies the bad habits and deeds. But as Your child, when I tag along with You, You are pleased and happy, especially when I copy Your loving habits and deeds.

Mostly what You do is love me (and others). We learn from your life of love. You are an extravagant lover. You don’t love to get anything back from us. But when we are loved so much, we want to lavish our love on You too. I’m so grateful that You graciously accept our love. You are just as hungry to receive my love as I am to receive Yours.

This is hard for me to honestly understand. The One True Holy God doesn’t need my puny offers of love, BUT He desires it. WOW!

This love between us is not the lustful variety. It is pure, holy, and beautiful. May my words of love speak to You with hones gratitude. As I allow Your love to fill me and purify me, my relationships with other people will also benefit. Enable me to be honest, may my talk not be “religious talk.” May I speak Your truths in love, always.

May I allow the bright light of Your love make my way plain, so I don’t stumble in the darkness. Enable me to be true to all that pleases you. I do not want to waste my life on barren pursuits of darkness. Christ Jesus my Savior will be and who me the Lighted Way.

In these desperate times may I make the most of every chance I get to honor You. Keep me free from the pull of the world. May I drink in Your spirit, singing and whistling songs from my heart to You, any excuse for a song of praise.

Respect for others, especially my husband. May I understand and support him in a way that shows my love and respect for Christ. As the church submits and respects Christ, may I do likewise for him. As Christ treats and responds to the church in pure love and full attention, that is the way a husband and wife should be. A two-way street.

No comments: