Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The not so great Cover-up

September 26, 2007
Joshua 7

Be sure your sins will find you out. God had told Israel that they were not to take anything from Jerico. Only take what God commanded for His treasury. When the army went to fight against a smaller city, they were quickly defeated and sent fleeing in shame. As Joshua fell before God asking why, God told him His covenant had been violated. Someone had stolen and kept some of the loot.

So one by one the tribes were called before God and Joshua – then the clans – then the families, and finally the guilty one – Achan. He confessed that he had taken forbidden loot and buried it in his tent. So the people purified themselves and Achan was taken out of the camp and all Israel stoned him and buried him under the pile of stones. (ugh).

And God’s anger was satisfied that the sin was settled and now they could go on to claim the next section of the promised land.

My Lord, do I have anything that I am trying to cover up and hide from You? The key word here is “try” as I know nothing is ever hidden from You. You know all. You see all. You hear all. I do not want to hide anything. I do not want to hide from Your love.

Keep me open and honest before You and everyone else including myself. Enable and empower me to be honest with myself and recognize truth and live by it.

No comments: