Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Obedience or disobedience?

July 9, 2007

Jonah – God gave a message to Jonah. He was ordered to go to Ninevah and preach to them. He chose Jonah specifically. On purpose! He called him by name.

Jonah got up and went the opposite way – ignoring God’s orders. He did as he pleased. When the storm raged and the boat was in great distress the sailors had called to their gods and threw everything overboard to no avail. The captain told Jonah to pray to his god for their rescue. When Jonah drew the short straw, they questioned him. “Why this disaster? What is your work? Where do you come from? What country? What family? What have you done, Jonah?

Jonah told them to throw him overboard. They tried to row. They didn’t want to toss him out. But eventually, after they prayed to God, they did. They prayed, pleading not to be held accountable for Jonah’s sin, and then said to God, “Do as You think best.”

Immediately after throwing Jonah overboard the seas quieted. The sailors were impressed and in awe of God. They worshiped God, sacrificed and made promises.

Then Jonah prayed from the belly of the whale, confessing, “I was as far as a body can go, held tight, tangled in seaweed” and God pulled him up from the grave alive. He worshiped God calling out in thanksgiving and promising, “I’ll do what I promised.”

After the whale vomited Jonah onto the seashore, Jonah went to Ninevah and preached, and the whole city repented and believed. This made Jonah mad too, complaining that he knew God would be merciful and change His mind. It was okay for Jonah to change his mind, but not God.

We are strange creatures, so inconsistent. We want to be in charge. But oh, the messes we make. I am so grateful for Your mercy and patience with us – with me. Thank you, God. Give me a heart that is obedient the first time. Someone said that delayed obedience is disobedience – sin.

What faces me today that I need to be obedient in? “I love you Lord, and I lift my voice. To worship You, oh my soul rejoice. Take joy my King in what you hear. May it be a sweet, sweet song in your ear.”

No comments: