Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Purpose of Old Testament Rule-Keeping.

Galatians 3
     Our (my) new life in Jesus was not my doing.  I was only responding to God's message to me.  Since I was not smart, or strong, or clever enough to begin His work in me - How could I possibly perfect it? 
     Paul asks; does God, who lavishly provides me with His own Presence, His Holy Spirit, working things I could never do for myself - does he do these things because of my own strenuous moral striving or because I trust Him to do them in me? 
     Like Abraham - who believed God, and that act of belief was turned into a life that was right with God.  So it is with me.  I am a child of faith.  I believe even by faith.  So those who live by faith are blessed along with Abraham.
    Remember, Jean, anyone who tries to live by his own effort, independent of God, is doomed to failure.  No one can sustain a relationship with God that way.  The person who lives in right relationship with God does it by embracing what God arranges for him.
    Doing things for God is the opposite of entering into what God does for you.   Rule-keeping does not naturally evolve into living by faith, but only perpetuates itself in more and more rule-keeping. 
    We are all (Jews and non-Jews) able to receive God's life, His Spirit, in and with us by believing.  Just the way Abraham received it.  Hallelujah!

So what is the purpose of the law of rule-keeping?
Galatians 3:19  "The purpose of the laws, the rules of the Old Testament, was to keep sinful people in the way of salvation until Christ (the descendant of Abraham) came, inheriting the promises and distributing them to us.  Wow!  The original promise is the direct blessing of God, received by faith. 
     The purpose of the law is to make obvious to everyone that we are, in ourselves,  out of right relationship with god, and to show us the futility of making a religious system of getting by by our own efforts, what we can only get by waiting in faith for God to complete his promise. 
     If keeping rules had power to create life in us, we surely would have received it by now.  Until we were mature and ready to respond freely by faith, God carefully surrounded and protected us by the law.
     The law was like a school teacher who protected the children from danger and distraction, making sure the children would get to the place they set out for.

Now you, Jean, have arrived at your destination.  By faith in Christ I am in direct relationship with God.  We are all (Jews and non-Jews) in a common relationship with Jesus.  Also, since you are Christ's family, then you are Abraham's famous "descendant,"  heirs according to the promises!

No comments: