Sunday, May 9, 2010

Jehovah-Nissi: The Lord My Banner

Numbers 21 tells that Israel had sinned and God's judgment was poisonous snakes that killed them.  Moses was instructed by God to set up a standard and everyone who looked at it would live.  Jesus is that standard - that banner:  Jehovah Nissi.

In Numbers the people confessed, Moses interceeded, and God commanded.  In John 3 Jesus himself likens his death on the corss to Moses lifting up the serpent on the pole in the wilderness.  "As men were saved from physical death by looking to the brass serpent on the pole, so man would be saved from spiritual death by believing in Him who was made sin for us and hung on a tree."

This great quote from Kay Arthur, "We have only to look across the darkness and confusion of our life struggles to see our great King's standard lifted high.  He is our shining assurance of victory."

"The flesh (represented by Amalek) will never stop attacking and trying to drag you under, but you have Jehovah Nissi and there is victory under that Standard." (Kay Arthur)

You are not alone on the battlefield.  Look to the Lord, your Banner!  It is His battle.

Father, we battle the flesh all of our life and we are often tempted to raise that white flag of surrender.  I praise You that You are Jehovah Nissi - My Banner.  You are always tehre.  all I need to do is look up into Your face, get my eyes and attention off of me and my so-called problems.  Look up to You, the Perfect Standard. 

I will never, ever win the war against my flesh in myself.  Only by your grace, mercy, and the power of Your indwelling Holy Spirit is victory possible.  This war has already been won on the cross.  I will be in many a battle, but the war has been won by Jesus Christ, Jehovah Nissi, the victor. 

Praise be to You, that I can walk in victory, with my head held igh, eyes fixed on You, My Banner of Victory.  Hallelujah!

No comments: